The choices are endless, especially when it comes to East Asian food.
Thai? Vietnamese? Japanese? Korean? Chinese?
But, there’s a bit of a problem. Single-use takeaway food and drink packaging sticks around for a while, contributing to our ongoing litter problem. As we enjoy these mouthwatering meals, we also need to consider the impact of packaging on our planet.
As the popularity of East Asian cuisine continues to soar, it’s essential to address the growing demand for eco-friendly packaging options in this culinary realm. From the mouthwatering umami flavours of ramen and udon to the comforting embrace of a soft, steamed Bao bun, East Asian food has captured people’s hearts (and stomachs) worldwide. Chinese food is still one of the most popular takeaways in the UK.
Join us as we take a look at the exciting world of East Asian food and eco-conscious packaging, exploring innovative designs, materials, and practices so your customers can savour their favourite East Asian dishes without compromising the health of our planet.
Getting Your Takeaway Packaging Right
There are a few takeaway packaging basics you’ll need to know before you choose the type of packaging that best suits your specific needs. Sushi, fried noodles, sticky rice and dumplings (we could go on!) require different types of packaging to keep them in delectable condition.
Top of the list is food safety. The packaging materials you choose need to meet the exacting standards of BRCGS (British Regulation Compliance Global Standard) as food grade to protect consumers. If you choose us as your takeaway packaging supplier, you’re going with an accredited BRCGS company, which means we’re certified to store food and non-food-grade packaging. That makes things a bit easier! Compliance with local regulations, including labelling requirements and allergen information, is also vital — you must ensure legal standards are always met.
Convenience matters, too, so make sure you have lightweight, stackable options and secure closures for easy handling and transport. In the fast-paced takeaway world, packaging must be easy to assemble and send out. In addition to the convenience factor, consider your packaging design too. Custom packaging can act as your own mobile marketing tool and a way to customise size and portion control. For example, imagine your customers walking off with some of your funkily wrapped Korean corn dogs. Other people passing them in the street will notice and ask, “Woah, where did you get those Korean corn dogs?” That isn’t just because it looks delicious — the branded greaseproof paper looks pretty suave too!
Make sure the packaging you select is suitably heat resistant (like our hot food containers) to withstand high temperatures without compromising food quality. Keep your budget considerations in mind to evaluate affordability without compromising functionality or visual appeal.
Lastly, sustainability is vital. The growing demand for sustainable packaging amongst consumers shows no signs of stopping, supported by recent government legislation to ban single-use plastics entirely. Going eco-friendly with your East Asian food packaging has never made more sense!
Are There Special Packaging Considerations for East Asian Food?
While many considerations for East Asian food vendors overlap with those of other takeaway food vendors, there are a few unique aspects specific to East Asian cuisine that should be taken into account:
- Utensils: The majority of East Asian food is enjoyed with chopsticks, so it’s an idea to include them alongside cutlery to give your customers a choice. Not everyone is chopstick confident, after all!
- Condiments & Sauces: East Asian dishes often have various condiments and sauces, such as soy sauce, chilli oil, satay or fish sauce. Packaging these separately or providing leak-proof sauce pots are essential to prevent any spillage or mixing during transportation.
- Delicate Delectables: Delicate ingredients like sushi or dumplings need appropriate, protective packaging to prevent them from being crushed or damaged.
- Noodle Packaging: Noodle dishes like chow mein, yakisoba or pad thai require specific considerations. Packaging should allow for proper ventilation to prevent condensation and maintain the desired texture of the noodles.
- Proper Labelling: Clearly labelling dishes with their names, ingredients and allergen information is essential for East Asian cuisine. Common allergens in East Asian cuisine include soy, shellfish, peanuts and sesame. Consider including translations or explanations for unfamiliar dishes to help customers make informed choices.
- Specialised Packaging: Certain East Asian foods, like bento boxes or sushi platters, may require specific packaging designs to accommodate their unique presentation and organisation. Ensuring the packaging maintains the integrity and arrangement of these dishes is crucial.
- Cultural Representation: Reflecting the cultural heritage of East Asian cuisine in packaging design can enhance the dining experience and create a connection with customers. Incorporating traditional patterns, symbols or artwork can add an authentic touch.
- Language Considerations: If operating in a region with a different primary language, it may be helpful to provide bilingual packaging or include translations of key information to cater to a diverse customer base.
Rice & Noodle Box Packaging Inspiration
To get you started on your packaging journey for East Asian food, let’s explore some of the best innovative and environmentally conscious options available to food vendors and businesses looking to go sustainable without compromising quality or functionality. From biodegradable materials to compostable packaging and recyclable alternatives, let’s get into the world of sustainable packaging options specifically designed to preserve the essence of the East!
Sustainable Noodle Box Packaging
Our Kraft noodle boxes come in various sizes and styles and are lined with PLA (polylactic acid), a plant-based, plastic-free material. This makes our paper cartons wholly compostable and biodegradable, providing a sustainable solution for your takeaway needs. The high-quality virgin Kraft paper used in their construction is an excellent insulator, keeping your noodles and rice dishes at the perfect temperature.
For those seeking recyclable options, our white noodle boxes are double-lined with PE (polyethene), making them easy to recycle. These boxes are designed with a stackable round base, allowing for convenient storage and efficient service.
For an authentic touch, consider pairing your takeaways with wooden chopsticks, elevating the dining experience and making it truly memorable for your customers.
Eco-Friendly Rice Packaging
Our Fastpac leakproof, stackable and remarkably durable bowls and containers are designed for reusability, extending their lifespan beyond a single use. When their time eventually comes, they can be 100% recycled, aligning with your commitment to sustainability.
Fastpac versatile containers are freezer and microwave-safe and dishwasher-friendly, making them a practical and long-lasting addition to any kitchen. Their exceptional functionality makes them the perfect choice for hot and sticky egg-fried rice dishes and other culinary creations.
Eco-Friendly Sushi Packaging
Introducing our sushi trays, the go-to packaging option for takeaways. These trays not only simplify the artful presentation of nigiri and hosomaki but also keep them fresh with their recyclable transparent lids. Your customers will be delighted to catch a glimpse of their mouthwatering sushi inside the packaging. Crafted from bagasse (repurposed sugar cane pulp), these trays are environmentally friendly and completely biodegradable.
For larger orders meant for sharing, our sushi platters are a perfect choice. These platters come with matching lids to ensure the protection and hassle-free transportation of your delectable creations. Made from the same eco-friendly bagasse material, they are available in small, medium and large sizes, catering to various serving needs.
East Asian Food Packaging: The Lowdown
Incorporating sustainable packaging solutions for East Asian food is a planet-positive step towards reducing environmental impact while maintaining the authenticity and quality of your irresistible delights. At Takeaway Packaging, we understand the importance of eco-friendly practices (we’ve even gone carbon neutral!) and offer a range of sustainable packaging in our online shop.
By choosing Takeaway Packaging, you contribute to preserving our planet and have the opportunity to brand your packaging, adding a personalised touch to your East Asian food presentation. With our expertise in custom printing, we can help showcase your unique brand identity, making your packaging an extension of your culinary creativity. Let Takeaway Packaging be your partner in creating a greener future while ensuring your brand shines through every detail of your packaging.
Embrace eco-friendly East Asian food packaging and buy branded packaging today.